Thursday, January 28, 2010

Going bananas

This is THE BEST banana bread I've ever made, period.

My roomie, a banana bread addict, said it was the best he'd ever tried. My other roomie said it's the best thing I've baked so far. I'm telling you, not many banana breads stay moist and yummy 5 days after baking. This does.




The secret? Well, the chocolate chips definitely help. They melt and give the whole thing a kick. But honestly I think it was a matter of bananas. My three bananas were not ripe or overripe, they were black. Yes, that's right, the outside was almost totally black. The inside had some tiny black spots that I removed.

Now you might be asking yourselves why ripe bananas taste sweeter than green ones. Easy! In the ripening process the starches from the bananas get transformed into sugars as ethylene gas is released (do not freak out, there's nothing bad about it).

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3 very (I mean very very) ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F

Mash the three bananas until you get a liquid mixture similar to baby food. In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in the egg. Add the mashed bananas. Stir in the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix with a spatula until well incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.  I baked it in a flat square pan but feel free to bake it as a loaf. Bake for about 30 min, until a toothpick inserted into the bread comes out with moist crumbs.


7 comments:

Mercè said...

Cinc dies?? Però que va durar cinc dies?? A casa no hagués durat ni dos! ;) jeje
Doncs sí, vaig fer enginyeria química al IQS. Després vaig fer el projecte al lab d'en Hamel al MIT, després vaig tornar a Barcelona a treballar un any mentre vaig fer la sol·licitud de doctorat aquí. Així que ja veus que petit és el món! ;) Amb qui el vas fer el projecte?
Jo ja estic acabant el doctorat i buscant feina... a veure què surt!
Petons!

Josep Miquel said...

Wow! Ehhh... veus, pots fer ground shipping que encara m'arribarà bé! ;)

Stephie said...

Oh HELL YES. A friend of mine who's a chef said the same thing--the scarier the bananas, the better the bread!

Adriana said...

@ JM ja pensava fer-ho quan torni de SF ;)
@ stephie I'm SO glad you commented :) I think I won't post the cheesecake cookies... but i'm making peanut butter swirl brownie today, that's gonna be here soon :)

Mariona said...

Tinc unes ganes de provar aquesta recepta.... mmmmmmm lecker!!! a veure si trobo temps aquest cap de setmana i em dic que tal!!! :-P segueix publicant...

Alisa said...

What a lovely recipe.I definitely wont be throwing any black bananas after this
Lovely dish!These would make a great entry to the best of the food bloggers cookbook. It's a full color cookbook that will be published by Andrews McMeel Publishing this coming Fall 2010.It would be great if you could join in this event! You can find out more about it at this link.Sorry I had to leave this message here.I wanted to email you but couldn't find it,so I dropped this one instead. Hope you do join. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

i do these cake and is good. other day a tried to do another jajaj.

by Pablo the spanish crazy man

Post a Comment