Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Torta de tomate (Spanish tomato and tuna tart)


Torta de tomate is a very typical dish from the region my dad is from, Castellon. I can't count how many times I've eaten this great concotion of tomato, tuna, onions, peppers and a crispy dough. After so many years enjoying my aunt's torta, I had to make it myself. 

There's two things that make this tart delicious. The yeast in the dough comes from beer, just like that, plain beer, which gives it a great flavor. And then there's the tomatoes, cut into pieces and cooked until they fall apart to render a sauce with some chunks.You can't beat slow cooked tomatoes.

When I asked her my aunt for her go to recipe, she told me it actually comes from my grandmother and it passed on to her. And now it's mine, and hopefully one day I'll pass it along as well. Now I'm giving it to you. I promise it won't disappoint you if you try it. The original recipe has bell peppers but I have a really hard time digesting them. Feel free to throw a couple of green and red in, or not. This tart is very versatile, adjust it to your taste. 



Don't cheat in this recipe. Get good ripe plum or roma tomatoes. Nice olive oil and some pine nuts. No canned anything, it's worth it.

For the topping
8-9 tomatoes, cut into cubes
(2 red and 2 green bell peppers if you want to add them)
1 medium onion, chopped
olive oil
pine nuts

Cook the onion at very low heat until translucent and then add the tomatoes (and peppers). Keep the heat low and cook the tomatoes until they fall apart. You don't want to peel the tomatoes because the skin adds another layer of texture to the tart. When the tomatoes are fully cooked, remove from the heat, break down the tuna into little pieces and mix it in.

For the dough, I know this is not gonna sound like a recipe, but it really works...
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup beer
A pinch of salt
All purpose flour

Mix together the olive oil and the beer in a bowl and start adding flour, about half a cup at a time, until the dough comes together. You'll need about 2-3 cups of flour, but really just keep adding until you get a dough that it's not sticky. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes until elastic. Let it rest for about 15 min and then roll it very thin until you get a rectangle with about 1/2 cm thickness.

To assemble the tart

Spread the tomato mixture over the dough. Sprinkle with a generous amount of pine nuts. Cook at 350 F for about 30 minutes or until the dough is crispy and the pine nuts are slightly toasted. Eat cold or warm.

8 comments:

Maria said...

Jo crec q podria alimentar-me d'aquesta torta FOREVER!!
No hi ha res mes bo q una bona torta amb TOT fet a casa, m'imagino el gust q ha de tindre i començo a levitar!!
M'encanta!!

Maestre Percola said...

It sounds good, but: Where is the tuna?

I guess it should be mixed with the tomato topping once it's finished, to avoid overcooking the fish.

I will seriously try to cook that recipe, at least the dough part, to recreate a "coc de recapte" with onion and "butifarra" . I like the part when uses a half cup of beer, the rest for the cook, isn't it? ;)

Adriana said...

maestre! the rest for the cook, you got it! and thanks for the comment on the tuna, i completely forgot, it's now edited :)
this is a very easy dough, you should definitely try it!

Mercè said...

Oh! Que gustosa ha de ser amb la cervesa!!! Quina delícia! Aquestes receptes de tota la vida són les millors! Jo faré la teva versió... tinc el mateix problema amb els pebrots. ;)
Petons!

La cuina vermella said...

Hola reina meva, és com una mena de coca de recapte però amb el toc de la cervesa!!! Sembla deliciosa, es nota que la teva tia és una gran mestra de la coca de tomàquet!! :-)

MARÍA JESÚS said...

I like this "torta", I do all the weeks, with onions, cheese, etc...Congratulations for your blog, it is cute! Kisses...

Ivana said...

que bona!!!! aquest color fa que vulgui menjar-me la pantalla
petonets

Maria Dolores said...

Hola Adriana veo que aunque estés lejos las recetas típicas te traen muchos recuerdos y que buena estaría.
Ya me dirás que tal te queda la de cebolla.
Saludos

Post a Comment