Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mascarpone cheesecake and hiking fun


I can't believe I'm doing such a terrible job at keeping the blog going. And I'm really sorry guys. Because I have actually been baking quite a bit. But apologies aside, I'm back again. If you wonder what I've been doing, teaching has been a huge part of it, but I've also had quite a few adventures in Portland. I moved, from downtown to SE. I love it here. 



The dangers of SE include amazing food places. Like 'Fire on the mountain', 3 blocks away, or 'Screen door', 5 blocks away. Sigh. I also got a bike! And I fell from it, day 1, after sticking my wheel on the railroad tracks. Minor issue, hurt knees but unhurt ego! I also... BOUGHT AN ICE CREAM MAKER!. First batch will happen today. Oh lord, dangerous!



And last but not least, I went hiking and celebrated 'jewster'. We'll talk about 'jewster' in a future post. The hike was a 12 mile! hike at Eagle Creek. Wonderful experience. The downside is that you have to do the 12 mile route if you want to see the waterfalls, but it's totally worth it. Even if on the way back your feet completely disagree.


This is the great waterfall you're rewarded with at the end of the hike. But on the way you find gorgeous things like this...



Well, without further delay, here's the recipe for the cheesecake!


Mascarpone cheesecake (adapted from Gourmet)

For the crust
1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
5 T butter, melted
1 T sugar

For the filling

20 oz cream cheese (2 1/2 eight-ounce packages), softened
8 oz mascarpone cheese at room temperature (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
a dash of salt



To make the crust.Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter bottom and side of a 9-inch springform pan or in my case, a pie pan. (easier to take to your friends house)

Whisk graham cracker crumbs and sugar in a small bowl and then stir in melted butter to moisten all the crumbs. Press the mixture onto the bottom and about half ways up the sides of the springform pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Let it cool.

For the cheesecake:
Beat cream cheese, mascarpone, and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium high speed until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla, lemon juice, and salt and mix at low speed until combined. Pour on top of the cooled crust, being careful not to disturb it. Bake for about an hour, until the edges separate from the pan and the top is slightly browned. Let it cool in the fridge at least for 3 hrs. 

7 comments:

Francesc Bon said...

Please please please go on and mention my blog somewhere there, I need overseas readers so badly...

Carmen said...

El cheesecake em sembla deliciós, però les fotos són una meravella, quins paissatges tan macos!!!!!!!
Petonets

Maria said...

cacahuet, quina casacada mare meva!!! Ves preparant peuets que si vinc de visita hi vull anar fijo!
Aquest pastisset fa babejar, i despres d'una caminada aixi deu entrar sol!
Petonets!!

Cooking Gallery said...

I love cheesecake and yours looks really good...!

Mercè said...

Senzillament, genial!! Continua així, cuinant pastissos i gaudint de la natura americana que té molts parcs que són una passada!! I parlant de cascades, et recomano viatjar a Kauai. ;)
Petonets!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a lovely cheesecake. You've been busy and it sounds like you've been having a wonderful time. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Patty said...

What a great place to live! No apologies necessary hermana (I haven't posted to my personal blog in... 4 months! I think I'm ready now to get back into in :) Lovely simple cheesecake - rica!
xop

Post a Comment